- For Registration Please visit: Schedule of Programs
- Course Details:
- Prerequisite: Basic Scratch Block Coding is preferable.
- Delivered in person and online using a secured platform
- Age: 8-13
- Duration: 24 hours
The course is divided into 3 levels. Each level is for a duration of 4 weeks. The course uses the Mbot robotic kit in conjunction with mblock5 programming environment to deliver the basic knowledge related to robots’ mechanical structure and how we can control them through coding.
Level 1 introduces students to the robotic world using the Mbot kit.
Level 2 focuses on strengthen the acquired knowledge through various projects.
Level 3 presents the usage of the servo motor (an extra add on) and how to combine it with the skills they already gained to make simple applications.
The student will learn about the following:
• Basic programming concepts (e.g. loops, decisions, etc.) using block programming.
• Understand the various Mbot hardware components.
• How to utilize Mbot sensors and actuators.
• How to instruct the robot to perform specific tasks.
• Basic scientific concepts related to robotics, such as wireless communication, friction, velocity, etc.
- Intro to Spike Prime Hub hardware and ecosystem
- Intro to block programming for robotics
- Building a rover
- Using code to move motors, and synchronizing them for meaningful robot movement
- Use of encoders to measure movement
- Control of a simple robotic arm
Use of sensors
- Use of force sensor
- Use of light sensor to follow a line
- Use of ultrasonic sensor for obstacle avoidance
- Use of Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU)
Capstone 1 putting it all together
- Autonomous navigation on a FLL challenge mat
Loops and algorithms
- Repeating robot behavior indefinitely
- Intro to use of feedback loops for more advanced autonomy
- Searching for objects on a map
Discrete decision making
- Intro to decision making
- Looped decisions
- Nested decisions
Continuous decision making
- Limitations of discrete decision making
- Intro to feedback and PID algorithms
- Continuous line following
- Continuous obstacle avoidance
- Continuous pose estimation and correction
Capstone 2 solve an open ended problem
- Autonomous navigation on a FLL challenge ma